Feds Looking Into Teen’s Reported Electrocution by Cellphone in Bathtub

Federal security regulators told NBC News on Tuesday that they are investigating the death of a 14-year-old Texas girl whose family said she was electrocuted in a tub in an incident related to her cell phone.

Madison Coe, Lubbock, Texas, was taking a shower when she plugged in her cell phone or already picked up a connected phone, Madison’s mother and grandmother told NBC affiliate KCBD Lubbock. She went to visit her father in Lovington, New Mexico at the time.

“There was a burn in the hand, the hand that had picked up the phone, and it was very obvious that this was what had happened,” said Grandma Coe, Donna O ‘Guinn at KCBD Monday.

Police in Lovington told the station that authorities were called home 24:24 (2:24 am ET) Sunday to a woman’s reports that they did not respond. Police said they tried to rescue the measures, but Madison was pronounced dead in the hospital shortly after.

Lovington police detective sergeant. David Miranda told The Associated Press on Tuesday that a mobile phone, charging cable and extension cord is located next to the tub. The United States Commission on Consumer Product Safety to NBC News was considering the report.

Madison had just graduated in eighth grade at a high school in the freelance school district, according to the station.

“It’s with the heavy heart that ISD frenship cries Madison Coe,” officials said the school district KCBD. “We want to share our sincere sympathy to your family and friends as we burden this tragedy together.”

O’Guinn said the family hoped to raise the death of their granddaughter to avoid a tragedy similar to that of other families.

“It’s such a tragedy that it does not need to happen to anyone else,” he said. “And we want something good to come out as a conscience does not use your mobile phone in the bathroom as it is plugged in and charged.”

“We’re going to miss her a lot.” “It has a special place in my heart.”

Services will be on Fridays at Lovington, Carl Christensen, emergency management coordinator in the city, said on the GoFundMe page created to help the family.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *